Nash Brinkerhoff

Nash Dean Brinkerhoff
6 lbs 3 oz

For those of you interested in the story of his birthday, here it is!

The first week of May I started swelling badly. I swell during pregnancy anyway, but this was more significant swelling than what I'd had the whole pregnancy or my first pregnancy, too.
I had just had a doctor appointment and my blood pressure was totally normal.

May 11 I woke up & Weston was just walking in the door from a night shift. I asked him to take my blood pressure before I got out of bed just to have a baseline. It was insanely high, I'm talkin 160/105.  I thought..uhmmm.. that's crazy high. So, we called the doctor and they said to go to the hospital get monitored. I was dragging my feet, though, because I got monitored with my first pregnancy, but this time totally can't afford the time away from home with a busy toddler needing me.  It was a really crazy busy time for my mom, who was our babysitter when we went to have baby #2. My mom had been planning and preparing for a recital she was hosting in her home that night for my baby brother who is an awesome pianist.  So, I dragged my feet going to the hospital, I decided I would take my time and see if my blood pressure would go down. Around 11AM my bp was about 175/115 and I decided I should go, so I shaved my legs and packed my hospital bag (Yeah, I hadn't done that yet and I was 37.5 wks, I will be packing one earlier next time). My mom, who is a totally amazing, sacrificed her ENORMOUS to-do list to offer to watch Ivy so Weston could go with me.
When we got to Vanderbilt my bp was 189/115. My doctor happened to be the one on call that day & I was so happy about that flukey coincidence. He walked into the room and said that we were going to have our baby right then. I got an IV & the whole crazy process began.
 Because Ivy was breech and I had a c-section, this one had to be a c-section as well, because they could not induce me. VBAC was out the window & I was too shocked to even care.
They took me back for the spinal, which went smoothly again. Phew. That part stresses me out. Weston came back and it felt like just seconds before my baby was in my arms.

Within 2 hours of walking in the hospital doors I held my precious boy.
The second I laid eyes on him my heart about exploded.
It all happened so fast & I felt like the whole thing was an out of body experience,

I will spare the details of how emotionally taxing next 24 hours were. I had to be on Magnesium Sulfate to prevent seizures and other problems pre-eclampsia can cause.
They said that medication was awful and they weren't kidding.

After 2 days I was so anxious to get home to Ivy and get back home and out of the all the busy-ness of the hospital!  We got to be discharged after 2 days. Hooray for no jaundice. Ivy had lots of jaundice issues.

This is what my tummy looked like on Mother's day, the day before Nash was born.
I am so glad I have this picture, because I did not realize he'd be there the next day. I snapped the picture and saw that it came out with really weird lighting and figured I'd just retake it later...but then he was here.
My insanely swollen feet.
Ankles? Tendons? Yeah, those were nowhere in sight.
He got here so fast. I could barely wrap my head around it all.
Nash is so snuggly. My heart could explode I am so in love with him.
We got lots of snuggle time at the hospital!
Diaper changes with boys and girls both have different challenges.
Weston was so excited after conquering his first poopy diaper on Nash!
My family came by and brought Ivy.
Ivy had just made a REALLY stinky diaper & would not leave Spencer's side. I was dying.
Such good karma right there.
Spence & Nash
Ivy loved hugging on Nash!
Chase & Nash
The first picture of our family of four!

I was totally freaked out because he was around 5 lbs when we left the hospital and the seatbelt did not even tighten over him. We drove very carefully all the way home! 
 Ivy loved bringing all her toys to share with Nash.
My heart about exploded.
 Twinner sized babies.
Ivy loves doing exactly what I do to Nash to her baby doll.

One of us was more excited for me to be home than the other. Ha!

Weston picked this one out. Oh, too cute.
He is very serious about his eye contact.
He is also really strong. Lifted his head like this since day one and holds it for quite a while.
Wow, he's mine.
Tuckered out.
Such a tiny bundle.

I started this post forever ago. & now Nash is over 2 months old. Whoops.
Life is really full, fun, and busy!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this post Rachel! So happy to find new posts…I live for this stuff! Such a cutie. LOVED Nash's pic of him holding his head up! LOVED Ivy's pic of her peaking through her jammies and pulling on her sleeves. Also, loved the pic of her sharing her toys with Nash! LOVED your story and the love you have for that little man! xoxox


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...